Prepare a persuasive speech about any issue that has been discussed in class. You cannot choose any topic that you like. It has to relate to one of the themes that we have discussed in class.
You should write your speech, rehearse it, and make sure you can read it at normal speed in class in 1 MINUTE. I will stop you as soon as the minute is over so time yourself as you rehearse.
(I will use a stopwatch).
As you plan your speech, keep the following in mind:
1. Do not introduce. Declare your position right away in a claim (of value/of policy).
2. Present and discuss grounds (pro-arguments and evidence) to justify why you have adopted that position. Your evidence should come from your readings in class, our class discussions, and our class oral presentations.
3. Present at least one counter-argument and refute it.
This is not a research project. You should not google the topic and waste your time. Just connect everything that we read, watched, and heard in class.
You will be graded based on
1. how carefully you follow the guidelines suggested in the handout “Argument and Persuasion Guidelines” (Find it on moodle)
2. how effectively you reflect on ideas that we discussed in class
3. how strong your claim is
4. how logical your grounds are (strong pro-arguments and effective evidence that comes from our classwork, not from google!)
5. how mature your claim is