Sample Outline for Case Study
Note: Each of these roman numerals and letters represent a segment of your paper, not a paragragh.
I. Introduction: Overview of the type of substance abuse issue you are focusing upon, its impact (on society and this agency) and your interest in this agency. (Tip: Open with something shocking or startling which will grab your reader’s attention. Look at some of the articles you have read to get ideas.)
A. The agency/program you choose to examine and why
B. History of the agency/program
C. Current data on agency/program: size, number of personnel, service area, mission, etc
D. Who you spoke to in the agency/program
E. Conclusion you came to after conducting your initial interviews
1. What is the challenge this agency faces in regard to substance abuse?
III. Issue you discovered
A. Thought provoking discussion of the issue and what problems it causes
1. Challenges for society in general
2. Challenges for the agency/program
3. Challenges for those in the agency/program
4. Possible solutions or ways to address this problem that occurred to you before doing the research
IV. Your research
A. Articles you examined which relate to this issue
B. Findings of those articles
C. How you feel these findings relate to your agency/program and their challenges
D. Follow-up interview
1. What did your interviewee say about your findings?
2. How might your findings relate to this agency?
E. Thoughtful discussion of your conclusion(s) about how this issue should be handled, based upon your findings and your follow-up interview
F. Wrap this part of your paper up in a compelling manner – perhaps refer back to the “shocking” part of your introduction
Your assessment of this case study...