Below are the questions of the Smucker's case (Case#17). Your next assignment is to answer these questions. This assignment is worth 25 points and is due on March 26 (Monday). I am expecting high quality work from each and every one of you (remember that 25 points are at stake). Your answers should be typed (Times New Roman 12 font, double spaced). Thank you, in advance, for your efforts.
Dr. Guclu Atinc
Case #17 - Assignment Questions
1. What is J. M. Smucker Company’s corporate strategy? What common strategy elements are shared across its brands? Did it make sense for Smucker to expand its business lineup beyond jams, jellies, and preserves? Why or why not?
2. What is your evaluation of Smucker’s business lineup and its acquisitions since 2002? How attractive is the processed foods industry? How strongly positioned are the company’s brands in each segment of the industry? What does a 9-cell industry attractiveness/business strength matrix displaying J. M. Smucker’s business units look like?
3. Does J. M. Smucker’s lineup of businesses and brands exhibit good strategic fit? What value-chain match-ups do you see? What opportunities for skills transfer, cost sharing, or brand sharing do you see?
4. Does Smucker’s lineup of businesses and brands exhibit good financial resource fit? Does it appear that J. M. Smucker Company’s businesses are cash hogs or cash cows? What do the company’s cash flow characteristics disclose about its ability to make new acquisitions or major investments in the current business lineup?
5. What strategic actions should the Smucker family undertake to further improve the company’s financial and market performance? What resource allocation priorities are needed to best allow for organic growth? What strategic actions are necessary to better prepare the company for further consolidation in the retail grocery industry and processed foods industry? Should J. M. Smucker undertake restructuring to eliminate certain businesses? Should...