NAFTA and the Prospects of Free Trade in the Americas
1. Why did the US, Canada and Mexico sign the NAFTA? Which sectors would you expect to gain most from this agreement?
2. In what ways has NAFTA been beneficial or harmful for the countries that signed it?
3. Should the US encourage the formation of FTAA?
PS2 - The China Question
1. Should PS2 enter the China Market? Is it ready to enter the China market now? If not, what limitations need to be overcome?
2. Is export a viable mode of foreign entry vis-à-vis foreign direct investment for the soil remediation and oil sludge recovery markets in China?
3. Which of the following two options should the company pursue? Is it feasible to pursue both options? Why or why not?
a. The NIES option in soil remediation using mobile units.
b. The Nahai option in the treatment of oil sludge using a fixed facility.
4. What ownership level should PS2 assume for each option?
1) Is the formation of JV the best option for Nora and Sakari to achieve their respective objectives? Why have the negotiations failed so far?
2) As Zainal, what would you do to ensure that Nora fulfills the TMB contract?
3) If Zainal decides to renegotiate (and assuming that Kuusisto agrees), how should he restructure the terms of the deal?
Philips versus Matsushita
1) How did Philips become the leading consumer electronics company in the world in the postwar era? What distinctive competence did they build? What distinctive incompetencies?
2) How did Matsushita succeed in displacing Philips as No. 1? What were its distinctive competencies and incompetencies?
3) What do you think of the change each company has made to date - the objectives, the implementation, the impact? Why is the change so hard for both of them?
4) What overall strategic recommendations would you make to Gerald Kleisterlee? To Eumio Ohtsubo?
Lego Group: An...