* Bihar is facing a huge unemployment problem due to the lack of industrialization and development.About 8.3% working hands are unemployed in Bihar. This is 2.5 times more the national average of unemployment.
* According to the labour bureau, a wing of the Union Labour Ministry, the unemployment rate is estimated to be 38 per 1,000 persons at the all-India level.
* According to the bureau, Bihar's unemployment rate was assessed to be 16.8% when the national average was 9.4% i.e the unemployment rate in Bihar exceeds even the national unemployment average of 38 per 1,000 people. While at the national level, unemployment rate has come down to less than half, Bihar's case remains at the alarming levels.
* Also, it is estimated that nearly 5 million from Bihar migrate each year in search of livelihoods to all parts of India.
* Both the census and National Sample Survey (NSS) reports suggest that Bihar has the highest rate of gross inter-state out-migration in the country, with barely a household without a member who has migrated outside the state. According to one estimate, there are around 2.5 million Bihari migrants working in Mumbai, and nearly half that number in other cities of Maharashtra.
BIHAR FACT FILE
Area | 94,163 Sq Km
Population | 103,804,637 |
Growth Rate(2001-10) | 25.07 Per Cent |
Density | 1102 per square km |
Sex Ratio | 918 females per 1000 males |
Literacy Rate | 63.82 % |
Male | 73.39 % |
Female | 53.33% |
CAUSES OF UNEMPLOYMENT IN BIHAR
Poor economic conditions coupled with bad governance
Low wages combined with employment uncertainty,
lack of educational institutions combined with lack of industry,
and absence of market and investment opportunities