FACULTY OF ARTS
COURSE TITLE : FAMILY, MARITAL AND SEX COUNSELLING.
COURSE CODE: CPY 406.
Assignment: GENOGRAM IN FAMILY THERAPY.
A genogram is a tool used in tool used to graphically represent information about a clients family history. It is meant to represent atleast 3 generations.
It may be used in the medical, social work and counselling fields.
Uses of a genogram:
* It is used in family and marriage therapy to depict historical and current information
* It is used to point out the recurring themes as in individual therapy that may have an impact on a persons self concept. This ensures the individual makes a conscious choice in building healthy patterns and reject those that hurt development.
* In the medical field it is used to identify patterns of illness, diseases and risky lifestyles.
* It may also identify genetic component illnesses like Huntingtons disease, Alzhemiers to name a few.
* In counselling it may assist a family to identify their strengths and histories to help them understand their interests.
Rules in building the genogram :
* The male is denoted by a square a nd the female by a circle.
* A family is shown by a horizontal line connecting the two.
* The children are placed below the family line from the oldest to the youngest, l eft to right.
Symbols used inthe genogram are shown below.
Fig 1 Genogram symbol s.
It was developed from the Developmental Theory and Family Systems Theory from the works of Murray Bowen. (Sawin and Harrison 1995)
The genogram has got a predicative validity in that it provides a lot more information than the other informal assesment methods and an increased identification of family history on medical conditions.
How does the family history impact on the client?
Family Systems Perspective:
When one is part of a family it influences the functioning , relational patterns and type of family that one forms or creates.