French Revolution DBQ (50 points)
Throughout history, people have overthrown governments for a variety of reasons.
Task: Using at least 5 documents, write a well organized essay in which your 3 body paragraphs:
Discuss at least 2 causes of the French Revolution.
Discuss at least 2 effects of the French Revolution.
Evaluate whether the changes that resulted from the revolution resolved the problems that caused it. (Take a position!)
After reading each document, answer the questions that follow on a separate sheet of paper. Label each document as Cause, Effect, or Resolution of the problems. (10 points) Then, plan out your essay using the DBQ Organizer provided. (15 points)
Document 1: The following quotes come from Enlightenment thinkers from the 17th century:
• 1A. How do these quotes summarize the new ideas about government from the 18th century?
• 1B. How did the Enlightenment encourage change?
Document 2: This excerpt is from John Locke’s Two Treatises of Government.
• 2A. According to the author, what is the purpose of government?
Document 3: This excerpt is adapted from Travels in France by Arthur Young.
• 3A. Identify three issues/problems in France from 1787-1789.
Cobb & Jones (1988) Voices of the French Revolution p. 39
• 5A. How did the French National Assembly attempt to deal with the problems that caused the French Revolution?
Document 7: Except from the London Times January 25, 1793
• 7A. What is the extent to which problems were solved by executing the king of France?
• 8A. Who is...