ETHC 445 Final Exam Solutions
1. (TCOs 2, 4, 5, 6) The idea that the assisted suicide of terminally ill patients should be allowed simply at the patient’s direction reflects what type of ethics?
Hobbes’ State of Nature
Aristotle’s concept of Virtue
Thomas Aquinas’ concept of conscience
Socrates’ concept of excellence
2. (TCOs 1, 2, 7) What is the moral ideal of temperance?
Exercising control over one’s own desires and inclinations
Keeping one’s temper under control
Minimizing the impact of one’s decisions
Seeking the good of others before one’s own
Overcoming one’s passions
3. (TCOs 1, 2) One of the common errors in Ethics is that of the hasty conclusions. Hasty conclusions consist of what?
Rushed work under pressure
Comparing unknown cases to known ones to find precedents
Embracing conclusions before examining cases fully
Judging cases by the source of their origin
Belief that first impressions are valid until challenged
4. (TCO 2) Prescriptive language is commonly used in ethics for what reason?
To indicate what is prohibited or impossible
To indicate that one choice is better than others
To show what actions are legal
To convey requirements and obligations
To indicate that there are really no choices available
5. (TCOs 7, 8) Ethical Egoism proposes that all decisions should be made to promote what?
Our fiduciary responsibilities
The good will of others
The welfare of the community
6. (TCOs 2, 4, 9) Free people are motivated toward forming social structures according to a social contract in order to overcome what problem identified by Thomas Hobbes?
The need to overcome disagreements
A perpetual state of warfare
The establishment of a monarchy
Taxation to support the costs of government
Organized ways to select leaders
7. (TCOs 3, 6) Agricultural biofuels are not properly a renewable source...