Analysis of An Essay
(15% of final grade)
Turnitin copy due by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, Mar. 18 (MW students) / Thursday, Mar. 19 (TTh students). Please note that this deadline falls during Spring Break!
Rough draft and other drafting materials due at beginning of class the first class period after Spring Break.
900 words, minimum.
* 11 or 12 point Times New Roman/Cambria font, double spaced, 1” margins.
* Your name and section number (CRN) in header.
* Page number in footer.
What to Do
Write an analysis of one of the pieces listed below:
* Jessica Mitford, “Behind the Formaldehyde Curtain” Norton p 254
* William Cronon, “The Trouble with Wilderness” Norton 533
* Alberto Manguel, “the Library As Survival” Norton 741
* Michael Pollan, “Opium Made Easy” online at:
Your analysis essay should explain all of the following in the thesis statement:
1. What is the text’s main argument or idea?
2. What is the dominant rhetorical mode used by the author, and how does that rhetorical mode support the author’s thesis?
3. What are two literary elements used extensively by the author, and how do they support the author’s thesis?
4. How does the author use the rhetorical mode and the literary techniques to make his/her argument successful (and/or persuade readers to his/her point of view)?
DO NOT write about whether the ideas in your chosen text are right or wrong. Also, DO NOT use outside sources to help you interpret the essay. Especially do not use any sample essay service or site.
How to Structure This Essay
Your essay should have:
* An introduction paragraph that ends with a clear thesis statement.
* Body paragraphs, each of which begins with an argumentative topic sentence and each of which takes on only one argument.
* A conclusion paragraph ending with a “big picture” statement.
Laundry List for Short...