Name: Renalini Padayachee
Education Law and Professional Ethics
Unique No. 586215
In this activity I would like to choose teaching which can be regarded both as an occupation and a profession.
The five characteristics that I would consider most important that would define teaching as a profession are:
1. Unique service: the service of teacher must be very good in order for the learners to follow. Unique means that no other professional practitioner has the same service. Teachers teach children that’s why their profession is so unique. The service delivered must be unique and clearly defined and it must be essential for the community.
2. Code of conduct: all teachers must be dressed in a neat and tidy way and must have a good language skills. A full code of conduct expressed precisely and unambiguously which keeps abreast demand made on the profession, is essential for the maintenance of a high standard of professional conduct and practice.
3. Intellectual skill and subject knowledge: having the skills to help all the learners in your class and giving them all your attention. The importance of intellectual skill and subject knowledge is emphasized in the theoretical and practical aspects of an occupation. Intellectual skill is an extremely important measure of true professionalism.
4. Love and understanding: all children need love at all times and understanding. They will learn better when you as a teacher learn to understand them. As a teacher you need to be patient and let them be loved.
5. Autonomy: a profession must protect its integrity. All professions strive towards persuading the community of their professional authority because they believe that they provide a professional service.