Outline on depression
When the Caged Lion Roars
At sometime in our life, everyone experiences anger or depression for a short time. However, sometimes a person experiencing these feelings will resort to acts of violence towards themselves of others as a result. Depression is often mis-diagnosed by professionals or ignored by family members until it is too late. A greater understanding of depression and its symptoms could help those who may become violent to get the treatment that they need before they become violent and hurt themselves or others.
The characteristics of depression may not always be obvious to those around the depressed person or sometimes, even the professionals who evaluate them.
A. How common is Depression?
4. Postpartum Depression
5. Older Persons
6. Seasonal Depression
B. What is the typical profile of a Depressed Person?
1. Their ability to function normally in daily life
2. Their ability to hide symptoms
3. Little clues often missed, even by loved ones
4. How to spot a depressed person
5. The picture of depression painted in The Rocking Horse Winner, Paul: A Case in Temperament, and A Child By Tiger
C. Why is a depression diagnosis often missed?
1. Other stresses often blamed for feelings of depression
a. Family problems
b. Money Problems
c. Health Problems
d. Work Problems
2. Depression carries a stigma
a. Family afraid of embarrassment
b. Family blames themselves
c. Family feels inadequate to help
d. Depressives have a tendency towards introversion
e. Person afraid of disappointing their family
f. Person afraid of ridicule
g. Person afraid of job or school repercussions
What are the most common signs and symptoms of depression?
1. Sad mood
2. Loss of interest or pleasure in activities that were once enjoyed
3. Change in appetite or weight
4. difficulty sleeping or oversleeping
5. Physical slowing or agitation
6. Energy loss
7. Feelings of...