Go to this site: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/units/basics/tour/
Click on “What is DNA?”
1. The instructions in the cells in our body are located in what structure?
2. What is the scientific and common name for the shape of DNA?
Twisted ladder or Double Helix
3. What four letters are the ladder rungs built with and who bonds with who?
A with T and C with G
4. How are DNA and genes related?
Move to “what is a gene”
6. Define gene
They are instruction manuals for our bodies. Directions for building proteins
7. Genes have the instructions to make what specific chemical in our body?
8. What could be a reason why a protein, such as hemoglobin, is not made correctly?
The instructions in a gene are changed
9. Name two other proteins in your body besides hemoglobin.
Insulin, or Oxytocin
Research the following people; Chargaff/Watson, Crick, Wilkins and Franklin/ Meselson and Stahl. Who won the Nobel peace prize for discovering the structure of DNA? What did the others do? Could all of these scientists have made their discoveries on their own? Explain.
James Watson and Francis Crick for finding the structure of the DNA.
Chargaff said state that DNA from any cell of all organisms should have a 1:1 ratio of pyrimidine and purine bases and, the amount of guanine is equal to cytosine and the amount of adenine is equal to thymine.
Go to the book (on-line pg. 281, Ch. 11-1) and answer these few questions
10. What is a nucleotide made up of?
A simple sugar, a phosphate group, and a nitrogenous base
11.What is DNA replication and briefly explain how it occurs? Use the term polymerase in your answer.
The DNA in the chromosomes are copied,
12.If one side of the DNA were as follows, write the other side (called the complimentary strand)
A T G C C G G A A
13.Does replication begin at the top of the DNA molecule and work itself down? Explain.
it works almost like a zipper when replicating DNA